Sunday, May 16, 2010

The second best day of my life

Today is two years from the day Sam and I got engaged! It could still have been the second best day of my life if he had only proposed in my driveway after a long day of work, but instead he rocked the opportunity to propose and gave me a perfect day! The day after my birthday, he took me to Savannah (my favorite in the world!) for the day and had a whole itinerary planned. We left early in the morning and got to the historic district around noon...

We had a picnic lunch in Forsyth Park right under a Live Oak tree with a perfect view of the fountain at the center of the park. He spent days preparing our lunch: shrimp cocktails, homemade brownies and fudge, fresh fruit, and sandwiches on croissants. Delish.

Then we walked down River Street since I hadn't been there in years. It had been kind of cloudy and rainy all day, so in the afternoon it was way hot and humid and we didn't end up staying too long, but it was fun to tour the art galleries, shops, and an open-air market at the end of River Street...

From there we drove out to Tybee Island to tour the lighthouse, which neither of us had actually seen. We got there just as tours had closed for the day due to the rain, so we took a picture out front anyway.

After the lighthouse we drove back up the coastal highway to Uncle Bubba's Oyster House for an early dinner. Our appetizer was really good as were the views, but we were still too full from lunch to eat a whole dinner, so our stay ended fast.

...Then the part I had been waiting all day for: the beach! Since the weather had been yucky off and on, he asked if I still wanted to go, and for the first time all day I questioned whether he had planned to propose or if the day trip was simply a birthday present.

Of course I still wanted to go, so off to the beach we went. We parked just down the road from the lighthouse and walked past some beach cottages to the boardwalk and down to the beach, (you can actually see the ring box in his right pocket). I'm more of a Gulf Coast person, but Tybee really is so beautiful! Because of the weather and the early season we were the only people on the beach among the sand dunes, driftwood, and surf.

Our view from the beach.

More view of the beach. The last picture taken before my camera very conveniently died.

We picked up shells and were having lots of fun when suddenly a pod of dolphins surfaced probably 10 feet from the shore. If I wouldn't have minded getting totally wet, I probably could have waded out and touched them! It was the first and only time I've seen wild dolphins that close before. Then, as if the dolphins had been planned, I turned around and Sam got down on one knee and proposed. Of course I said YES! Right after we got engaged, the sun peeked through the clouds for the first time that day and we enjoyed a beautiful sunset on the way home. Not to sound obnoxiously cheesy, which I probably do a lot, but it was absolutely perfect! I couldn't have planned a better proposal myself even if it were up to me. In case you were doing the math, yes we got engaged just over 2 weeks after he got home from his mission. No, it wasn't planned, it just happened that way, and I've never regretted it. Plus, look at that bling! Best birthday present ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment