Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What I Wish I'd Known Before Becoming a Mom

I can't help but recount some of the lessons I've learned in the last few weeks. My days are defined by new lessons, so I love to share the knowledge.

1. Kellymom.com. Manna from heaven on all the confusion that is breastfeeding. Feeding Alexis was surprisingly easy and enjoyable from day 1, but we've hit a few speed bumps along the way that I'm so grateful to have resources for.
2. You never know what ideologies, methods, or tactics you may completely embrace that you didn't expect to, so keep an open mind. For me, co-sleeping to some extent has been a lifesaver. I never would have guessed that before she came.
3. Purple crying is the pits. Sometimes babies just cry, and hard as it is to hear it, especially when you've tried everything and feel guilty for not doing more, it's ok. Alexis had one night this week where nothing we did calmed her down and we finally had to walk away and let her cry it out, because it was 3am and we were going to collapse. I probably cried almost as much as she did, but the next morning? Happy as a clam and cooing away at us. Babies are resilient.
4. You can never judge another parent. You never know what issues they or their children are dealing with. I'm impressed by the sacrifice of any parent that's capable of feeding, sheltering, and just keeping their child alive to see adulthood.

and finally... 5. you will figure it out. I remember thinking that first week home how impossible it seemed to care for a newborn and do ANYTHING else after my mom left and how scared I was to have to do it. And guess what? When she left, somehow I figured it out. I'm still figuring it out, but every day is progress.

The poor thing has already suffered through her first cold, sniffling, rattling cough, sore throat (we think) and all. She is resilient as well as strong, stubborn, and very intelligent. It's amazing how much individuality and identity there is in such a little person. No doubt she was her own person long before she joined us here on Earth. I guess that's the last lesson: never forget that they are first a precious child of God and you will always have His help in raising them.

3 comments:

  1. As always, you thoughts and words are wonderful. Someday this will be a book! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Cute Christmas background that matches the green in Alexis's Boppy. But of course, you already knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU are amazing. I am still learning and relearning all those mom things... even a year later. It is hard, but oh so joyful. Alexis is just a doll. And I miss you.

    ReplyDelete