Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Brother the Hero

Pictures stolen from Facebook. Thanks, Ross, you had a boat-load to choose from.
Today my baby brother officially become a missionary. He's off to serve for 2 whole years in Concepion, Chile, and I couldn't be more proud of him. He will learn to speak fluent Spanish, teach the Gospel, become immersed in the people and their service, and will surely change some lives, no doubt including his own.

Ross and I have always shared a weird special connection. I don't know what it is, but I have always felt like he's a little older than he really is and somehow on my same plane. Call us "kindred spirits". Our 5 year age difference never slowed us down growing up, all the way through my high school years, and even when I came back for the summer during 3 years of college. When he came out to BYU for his freshman year, we got to relive that just a little bit and I'm so grateful for it.
Ross is one of those anomalies among us. He's a talented musician and composer, actor, filmmaker, scholar, dancer, free-runner, writer, snowboarder, drummer, budding chef, pianist, swimmer, and a spiritual giant.
Heck, he's basically good at everything he touches -
 like Midas.
He's also a goofball,
 and a philosopher,
 a comedian, 
an adventurer, 
a true friend,
and now, missionary.
Boy, I just read this through one more time and lost it. In case you didn't know, I kinda love this kid. And will miss him like crazy. I've done the waiting-for-a-missionary thing before, I know I can do it again. (Except this time we're already an eternal family, so that really helps.)

God speed, Elder Wilcox. Use your Midas touch on the Lord's work in Chile.

4 comments:

  1. You should re-post this posting on facebook when he gets back. It would make a great pitch to all the ladies out there. I hope he does well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me cry all over again!

    (And, seriously, you should re-post this post-mish. It's awesome.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Those pictures of you are super hot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More like making MYSELF cry! Thanks! And to Katie: that would be an awesome idea, except that he already has a lady. ;)

    ReplyDelete