Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 10 Years Later

10 years ago today, I remember sitting at my lunch table as a high school freshman and hearing rumors of an American plane being hijacked...and that was all we knew. Understandably, censorship was high that day at our school filled with students who were kids of Delta Airlines employees. Whispers circulated all day until one brave teacher in 6th period finally ended class early to explain the whole situation. I remember how panicked he was, especially as he drew the Twin Towers on the whiteboard and dramatically wiped them away to show that they had been destroyed.

I remember coming home and seeing the footage for the first time on the news. I watched as the planes hit and then the towers fall over and over again on every single channel. I remember we ate spaghetti for dinner and Sister Purdy cancelled Mutual that night. Little details like that still stick for me. I remember the fear and uncertainty that gripped the nation, even my own parents, as we contemplated the threat of further attack and going to war. It felt like the world was ending.

Then I remember the patriotism and faith that was rekindled in everyone following the attacks; how every home flew an American flag the next day and the morning Pledge of Allegiance/moment of silence held profound significance for the first time.

To this day I'm amazed that people would question "Why would God let something like this happen?" when it was a blessing in disguise for a nation on the brink of completely losing faith. It united us like never before, to each other and to our God. I think sometimes we have those same thoughts when we face our own personal tragedies, but the answer is the same.

I could go on and on about it, but I this is one of my favorite videos that summarizes those same thoughts. I'm sort of on a Mormon Messages high right now. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment