Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween Festivities

Boy, what a weekend! I could tell you how busy we were with putting together our Ward Halloween Party, spending hours decorating for it (and it looked awesome!), making cider, setting up, attempting to quickly get replacement supplies and handle crowd control, and attempting to have time dress up, and how we were too  busy to take any pictures, and too exhausted after cleanup to do anything to our apartment that looked like the damage path of a tornado. I could tell you lots more details, but this post reminded me that you don't want to hear me whine. Oh....wait.

Very seriously, though, I was sad that we didn't really get a chance to enjoy the party much or that our costumes weren't much of a success. I decided very last minute that I wanted to go as an Egyptian queen and Sam really wanted to go as a mummy. I had all the costume stuff, the wig, the makeup, even the jewelry, and Sam had all the strips of linen to be the perfect mummy....but our costumes were last on the priority list that night. Oh well. At least we'll have some sweet costumes for next year.

The rest of the weekend we enjoyed some much needed sleep and relaxation. Sunday felt a little weird and not much like Halloween as we had church in the morning plus some extra meetings, visiting/home teaching, and the like. We had Ross over for dinner and to celebrate his birthday. I always loved how much we celebrated Halloween while growing up because it doubled as his birthday.

 Some of our spooky decor
We made pumpkin turkey chili (sounds weird, but it's actually really good) and birthday pumpkin pie. Don't you love the tombstone candles?

 Ross playing hide-and-seek with Ethan over Skype.

We had everyone on Skype singing Happy Birthday! It was so fun! After Ross left we planned to watch "Vertigo", but were too tired to do so for the second year in a row. One of these Halloweens we will enjoy a thrilling Hitchcock movie! As for this week, I'm sad to see Halloween go, but looking forward to the coming holidays and especially more than grateful for a little breather. Not to mention that the valley is absolutely beautiful right now. I've really become accustomed to Western falls.


P.S. I voted today! I didn't get my absentee ballot in time 2 years ago to vote in what would have been my first Presidential election, (I know, FOR SHAME!) but today I did. I felt so proud! What a blessing it is to have the freedom to have my voice heard.


4 comments:

  1. Yesssss! A new post! Now I shall read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the costumes. Now you can spend ALL YEAR making them freakishly fabulous for next Halloween!

    (And on another note, why do the leaf blowers always make their stunning debut right outside our window and right during Ethan's nap????!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Righto! Yes, we have the same problem on weekends, (except it's usually me napping, not a small child) - leaf blowers, snow blowers, sprinklers, and lawn mowers. Every season has its irritation I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horray! I finally figured out how to find (and respond to) your blog. I love it! Nice to be able to read your thoughts and share in your life. Thanks again for giving Ross a nice birthday party -- he's the luckiest of my college kids, having family nearby. I was alone there, Jenn was alone at SVU, you were alone at BYU, Ashley is alone at SVU now -- I guess Ross's alone time at college was during GHP in Valdosta. Cute pie you made! Can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving! Harry Potter on Thanksgiving night!

    ReplyDelete